Location: Sarasota, Florida
Ms. Patten is a professional urban planner and attorney who focuses her practice in Land Use Law, Government Law, Administrative Law and Real Estate Development Law. Her professional degrees include a B.A. Degree from the University of Florida, 1970; a Master’s Degree in Urban Planning from Michigan State University, 1978; and a Juris Doctor with Honors from the University of Florida, 1983. Ms. Patten’s professional work experiences include Professional Urban Planner in New York and Florida, 1974-1980; Deputy County Attorney and Acting General Counsel for Sarasota County Government, 1991-1997; Counsel to Governor’s Growth Management Advisory Committee, 1986-1987; and Partner and Of Counsel attorney to Kirk-Pinkerton, P.A., 1997- 2009. Ms. Patten has served as legal counsel to the Sarasota County Board of County Commissioners and the Sarasota County Planning Commission. Ms. Patten was certified by the Florida Bar in City, County and Local Government Law, 1998- 2005.
Ms. Patten’s memberships and community affiliations include Sarasota County Bar Association, The Florida Bar (Member, Environmental and Land Use Law Section; Real Property, Probate and Trust Section); Director, Sarasota County Chamber of Commerce Committee for Economic Development, 2000; Board of Trustees, Marie Selby Botanical Garden, 1998-2001; and Director, Sarasota Film Festival, 2001-2009. Ms. Patten was named Top Ten Most Influential Lawyers, Gulf Coast Business Review, 2002 and Top Ten Most Influential Women, Gulf Coast Business Review, 2001. Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating.
Ms. Patten served as lead counsel or land use counsel on many major developments in the Sarasota/Manatee County Area, including:
The Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota
The Ritz-Carlton Beach Club, Sarasota, FL.
The Radisson Lido Beach Resort, Sarasota, FL.
The Longboat Key Club & Resort, Longboat Key, FL.
Pineapple Square, Sarasota, FL.
The Whole Foods Project, Sarasota, FL.
Bay Street Village and Town Center, Osprey, FL.
Shroeder-Manatee Ranch (Lakewood Ranch), Sarasota, FL.
Sarasota Herald-Tribune Headquarters, Sarasota, FL.
Boca Royale Golf and Country Club, Englewood, FL.
Summer Cove, Siesta Key, FL.
La Bellasara, Sarasota, FL.
Mote Marine Mammal Center, Sarasota, FL.
CERTIFIED LEGAL SPECIALTIES
- Florida Bar Board Certified in City, County & Local Government Law, 1998-2003
- Florida, 1984
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
- J.D. – 1983
- Honors: With Honors
- University of Florida
- B.A. – 1970
- Michigan State University
- Master’s Degree – 1978
- Major: Urban Planning
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Urban Planner in New York and Florida, 1974 – 1980
- Deputy County Attorney and Acting General Counsel for Sarasota County Government, 1991 – 1997
- Sarasota County Board of County Commissioners
- Sarasota County Planning Commission
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section, Member
- Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Sarasota County Chamber of Commerce Committee for Economic Development, Director, 2000
- Marie Selby Botanical Garden, Board of Trustees, 1998 – 2001
- Sarasota Film Festival, Director, 2001 – 2009
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Kirk-Pinkerton, P.A., Partner
- Kirk-Pinkerton, P.A., Of Counsel, 1997 – 2009
PRO BONO ACTIVITIES
- Counsel to Governor’s Growth Management Advisory Committee, 1986 – 1987