To Deed or Not to Deed…


One of the most prevalent requests we receive as real estate attorneys is to prepare a deed in order to transfer title to a property. More often than not, a client will ask that we prepare a quitclaim deed (or, as many people mistakenly call it, a “quick claim” deed) on their behalf. For whatever reason, there is a common misconception that quitclaiming title to a property is the best and easiest way to transfer title. The reality, however, is that deeding a property without the advice of legal counsel can lead to serious unintended consequences. Some of those consequences include an ineffective transfer, voiding your owner’s title insurance policy, unknowingly owing thousands of dollars in transfer taxes, the deed being rejected by the recording office and creating future title defects on your property.

First and foremost, you should understand that conveying a property via quitclaim deed may actually void the existing owner’s title insurance policy. This is because the owner’s policy only remains in effect if the grantor (seller) provides certain warranties to the grantee (buyer). Because these warranties are not included as part of the quitclaim deed, the new owner may then be susceptible to title claims without any protection.

Other factors that must be considered when conveying a property include, but are not limited to:
• Is there currently a mortgage on the property that will remain on the property?
• Is the transfer required as part of a Marital Settlement Agreement?
• Are you transferring it to or from an entity owned by the same parties?
• Is the property your homestead?
• Are you married?
• Is the deed being recorded in a 2nd county or to correct a prior deed?

The answer to any of these questions can drastically affect how your deed must be drafted and the cost associated with the transfer of title. With so many variables and the potential for costly mistakes, we recommend consulting with your local real estate attorney if you are considering transferring title to your property.


Bishoy M. Habib, Esq.,
Berlin Patten Ebling, PLLC

This communication is not intended to establish an attorney client relationship, and to the extent anything contained herein could be construed as legal advice or guidance, you are strongly encouraged to consult with your own attorney before relying upon any information contained herein.

All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

3700 South Tamiami Trail, Suite 200, Sarasota, FL 34239
P (941) 954-9991 F (941) 954-9992

247 Tamiami Trail South, Suite 201, Venice, FL 34285
P (941) 955-9991 F (941) 484-9992

8433 Enterprise Circle, Suite 100, Lakewood Ranch, FL 34202
P (941) 907-9022 F (941) 907-9024

324 S. Hyde Park Ave., Suite 325, Tampa, FL 33606
P (813) 467-7500 F (813) 251-1662

3179 4th Street North, St. Petersburg, FL 33704
P (727) 822-2505 F (727) 822-2909

Did you find this real estate law content useful, but need actual legal counsel?

Speak to a real estate attorney!

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Avoiding Litigation. The Married Seller Edition.

  This has been an incredible selling market. Real estate professionals are signing up their sellers, listing the property, and procuring offers in contract in short time periods. Time is of the essence, but it is important to make sure that you dot your “I’s and cross your “T’s” when it comes to not only…

Repairs In an As Is Contract?

  As the local real estate market continues to experience an unprecedented level of competition and lack of inventory, it is more important than ever to brush up on exactly what is and is not contained in the FAR/BAR residential contracts. The FAR/BAR “As Is” Residential Contract for Sale and Purchase (the “Contract”), which is…

Notice Something is Missing?

  Get it in Writing We know. You’re in the real estate industry. You’ve heard “get it in writing” a thousand times. That applies to contracts for the sale of property (I’m sure you’ve read a previous blog on Florida’s statute of frauds), and for any changes to the contract that the parties agree on.…